Belk is excited to give you a unique opportunity to enable the company to deliver business improvements more quickly, using automation and collaboration. Are you excited to work in a highly collaborative environment, as part of a fast-paced, high-performing retail-based technology team where your opinion matters? Come join a stable national retailer where you can make an impact on the business. You will be responsible for enabling key development and operational features and capabilities that enable rapid delivery of solutions across the enterprise.
The role of the Senior Software Engineer - DevOps is to provide technical expertise related to automation and collaboration across numerous Enterprise applications. The role focuses on the processes and tools related to development and operations, including build engineering, continuous integration/delivery, release management, and operational metrics.
This position will function as part of a team continuing to introduce DevOps practices to a broader segment of the enterprise. You will work with a team on many exciting technologies and have opportunity to improve your skills even further. You will collaborate with cross-functional teams, seeking solutions for software delivery consistent with best practices, enabling more rapid business growth.
The position will focus on delivering new tools and processes in a way that is as much self-service as possible, allowing the ability to scale the team’s efforts to a continually increasing suite of enterprise applications, while introducing ongoing continuous improvements.
- Work with IT teams to understand existing software development processes then design and implement automation and collaboration solutions.
- Focus on incremental, continuous improvements in the software delivery process for the application areas the team supports (the scope of which will grow over time).
- With other team members, configure and manage tools such as Jenkins and Puppet for middleware and application build and deployment.
- Have a proactive perspective with respect to solutions, recommending new technologies and processes to meet business needs.
- Continue to improve a continuous integration and delivery environment.
- Help other teams exercise software delivery best practices throughout the enterprise.
The position requires knowledge of and hands-on experience with continuous integration and delivery concepts, processes, technology, and tools. This includes the following:
Essential Business and Technical Leadership Skills:
- Strong focus on business outcomes
- Comfort with collaboration, open communication, and reaching across functional borders
- Communicating and collaborating with others
- Knowledge of DevOps best practices, covering the spectrum of development and operations.
- Demonstrated technical leadership abilities and responsibilities
- Eagerness to learn
Nice to have:
- Ability to use a wide variety of public cloud services (AWS, Azure, etc.)
- Knowledge of automated testing
- Process re-engineering
- Knowledge and understanding of Agile methodology
- Ability to generate objective metrics to effectively demonstrate process improvements
Essential Technical Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or similar field.
- Working expertise with software build and deploy processes
- Expertise with scripting languages (such as PHP, Python, Perl, Ruby)
- Expertise with build and release management tools like Jenkins, Nexus, Apache Ant, and Maven
- Experience with Configuration Management tools such as Puppet, Chef, or Ansible
- Solid working experience with Git and a distributed source control system such as GitHub or BitBucket
- Experience with systems and IT operations
- Ability to use a wide variety of open source technologies and tools
- Strong grasp of automation tools
Back to Job List