The senior technical designer is the technical expert in their assigned product categories. The purpose of the senior technical designer position is to drive the management, mentorship, and development of the technical design team(s) that fall under their auspice. and its’ partnerships with all cross functional teams to ensure adherence to timelines, promote cycle time reduction, and enhance speed to market as appropriate by brand. Individuals in this position must be strategic, out of the box thinkers that are action oriented and diverse in their ability to communicate on all levels. In partnership with the director of technical design, and VP of technical design, this role must also provide leadership and workflow coordination to the technical design functions, ensuring garment’s construction and fit integrity are in line with the vision of the brand.
· Oversee timely operational functions related to product packages, fit development, and evaluation and construction
· Review and revise comprehensive construction standards and grade rule specifications; evaluate current practices and initiate new procedures in order to streamline workflow
· Partner with brand management and design teams to ensure fit and styling are brand relevant and customer appropriate
· Partner with peer teams on product and fit adjustments, proposed corrections, and final grading; handle questions from vendors regarding fit and construction changes; keep accurate records of reports and vendor communications
· Assign duties, work schedules, and manage their product area’s workflow; prioritize and coordinate fit models and fit schedules
· Evaluate job performance and recommend training needs
· Train, mentor and develop the technical design team organization
· Evaluate grading between sizes and correlate specs between size ranges.
· Generate detailed reports regarding fit and quality issues.
· Conduct competitive benchmarking analysis on existing product and new brand launches.
· Conduct, evaluate and report on factory and store audits of potential quality problems.
· Collaborate and align with Senior Technical Design counterparts to initiate new processes and procedures to help streamline workflow.
· Partner with the director on the maintenance of the PLM data, i.e. grade rules, tolerance, and fit block specification.
· Leads department and companywide special projects, in partnership with the director of technical design and VP of technical design, as appropriate for the department.
· BS, BA Patternmaking, Fashion Design, Technical Design or related program.
· Minimum 8+ years technical design, patternmaking, garment fitting, construction knowledge or related apparel experience required.
· Expertise in flat pattern, pattern manipulation, draping and grading knowledge.
· Experience in conducting fit sessions on live models and mannequins.
· Supervisory and Leadership experience required, with demonstrated ability and desire to mentor and train.
· Strong computer skills, knowledge of web based product development program, Adobe Illustrator, Windows applications
· Base knowledge of custom compliance.
· Ability to lead through change.
· Strong communication, collaboration & interpersonal skills
· Engaging personality
· Self-motivated and driven to learn
· Highly entrepreneurial with a strong sense of accountability
· Excellent written and verbal skills
· Knowledge and ability to manage styles through the product life-cycle.
· Detail-oriented personality with strong time management and organizational skills.
· Provide differing level of support for each branded area based on business needs. Support TD in developing Associate TD & Assistant TD as determined by responsibility. Accountable for supporting a learning culture that will empower and leverage a collaborative team environment.
· Responsible for linking team’s work to support company mission, vision, values, goals, and strategies.
· Celebrates workplace success, achievement and failure where innovation is valued.
Reports Directly to: Director of Technical Design and/or VP, Technical Design as business need dictates.
Supervises: Assistant Technical Designers, Associate Technical Designers, and/or Technical Designers as business need dictates.
For reasonable accommodation information for an ADAAA qualified disability please see Belk Associate Handbook for policy and procedures.