Position Summary:The role of General Accounting Lead Accountant is to produce quality, timely, and accurate financial statements. This staff position provides leadership support to management with general accounting responsibilities including (but not limited to) to real estate leases and rent, real and personal property taxes, franchise taxes, insurance, utilities, telecommunications, visual, small repairs and maintenance, supplies, returned checks, contributions, leased departments, Belk credit, Belk Reward Dollars, and UES operations. The Position must build effective working relationships with the functional areas that relate to the assigned areas of responsibility, and provide effective communication with subordinates, supervisors, management, and others. This position will be required to assume both leadership and supporting roles in long-term and short-term accounting projects as assigned.
- Ensure that all assigned accounts are to be reviewed by day three of each monthly close with major variances identified and explained. Accruals and correcting journal entries are to be made, as needed. Entries and analysis should be performed prior to close week when possible.
- Ensure communication of budget/actual variances to departmental management.Attend and participate in Controller’s month-end close review.
- Ensure accurate completion of assigned general ledger reconciliations on assigned timeline.
- Ensure timely and accurate completion of required quarterly adjustments, as well as related assignments to external audit requests.
- Responsible for review and accurate statement of assigned general ledger accounts.
- Research and implement significant process improvements.
- Maintain current and detailed documentation for all assigned accounts. Work with departmental personnel to ensure all updated Policy & Procedure documentation is accessible on the Belk Intranet.
- Design and adhere to strong accounting controls to ensure SOX compliance. Address SOX requests for documentation and control review as assigned.
- Serve on IT project initiatives as assigned.
- Provide training, backup, and coordination to other team members, and share acquired knowledge with other team members to ensure backup in assigned areas (cross training).
- Participate as assigned to internal training efforts.
- Ensure accurate preparation of annual budgets for rent related general ledger accounts. Update and report both rent and tax forecasts to Financial Planning.
- Ensure submission of rent, tax, CAM, and insurance for all Belk locations to Accounts Payable for on time and accurate payment.
- Ensure maintenance of required real estate reserves.
- Develop usage skills of the Real Estate Management System (AMT).
- Ensure the timely and accurate accounting and allocation of insurance premiums and claims, with the coordination of Risk Management.
- Lead monthly Belk Real Estate meeting and serve as a contact for the necessary accounting adjustments of Real Estate transactions, as directed by the Belk Real Estate department.
- Lead monthly Risk Management review meetings and provide accounting input and analysis.
- Provide research, analytics and recommendations for Real Estate, Risk Management, and other accounting decisions.
- Ensure the timely and accurate accounting for daily/monthly settlements with Credit provider (currently Synchrony).
- Other duties as assigned.
- Four year degree – Accounting/Finance/Business (Accounting preferred)
- CPA or Masters of Accounting (preferred)
- Three years related work experience
- Strong Microsoft Excel, Access, Word, and PowerPoint skills
- Lawson (preferred)
- Hyperion, including essbase (preferred)
- Strong PC and analytical skills
- Team leadership – related to assignments and project management
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
Back to Job List