The role of the Director Shop and Environment Design is to:
Manage & design Belk store environments based on lifestyle segments including fixture design. Manages merchant and other assigned capital projects. Develop, coordinate, purchase and communicate visual merchandising corporate strategies for new stores and remodel stores visual equipment, key initiatives, special store projects. Direct, develop, plan and coordinate corporate visual merchandising vendor shop concepts for vendor, corporate capital expenditures, vendor co-op initiatives, and Belk Private Brand.
Work closely with key external and internal clients: Provide solid, timely communication to Divisions and Merchants on a scheduled planned basis. Follow through and effectively communicate to all suppliers, manufactures, design firms and agencies.
1. Environment Design
· Design and prototype all in-store environment concepts. Develop footprints & floor layouts for merchandise zones.
· Work closely with Store Planning to roll out and incorporate environment concepts. Attend Store Planning meetings for review of all merchandising strategies.
· Design and manages fixture designs and concepts. Provides direction to Store Planning on all visual prototypes, store environments, & fixtures.
· Oversees the development of all fixture drawings and shop and environment renderings.
2. Manages new stores and remodels
· Oversees the selection, development, planning, and purchase of visual equipment for all new and remodel stores with approved budget
· Determine best visual resources through competitive sourcing, pricing and quality assurance for new stores, remodels, capital projects and store projects.
· Coordinate approved vendor collateral and signing requirements for use in existing, new and remodel stores.
3. Shop Concept Design & Development
· Oversee design & concept of all vendor shop & Belk private brand shop installations - includes inspecting specification drawing for shops, floor plans, spec allocations, merchandise densities
· Interface with external vendor & manufactures. Primary contact to all vendors as related to vendor shop, collateral and fixture initiatives.
· Manage coop discussions and guidelines.
· Coordinate all shop logistics – including floor plan approvals for stores, merchants and vendors. Confirmation of shop settings & location planning including merchant, vendor and division approvals
4. Manage Capital Projects
· Manages Capex projects. Responsible for development and implementation plans for capital expense projects.
· Develops and manages costs & budgets
· Coordinate time and action, shipping and delivery of capital expense projects.
· Manages visual directives for capital expense projects.
· Travel stores to determine effectiveness of visual communication being sent to stores.
· Develop, plan and maintain accurate shop and capital records.
· Negotiate vendor co-op and develop vendor supported capital expense shop/fixture programs.
5. Communication, Logistics & Operations
· Work with Production and Design Director to insure all orders are written for Visual initiatives and budgets are maintained.
· Coordinate time & action for shop concepts and visual fixture drop-ins.
· Work with & schedules outside contractors for any/all installations.
· Communicate delivery schedules with the Division Visual Merchandising Directors.
· Partner with Creative Director and Family of Business Coordinators on their area of responsibility as related to shop concept and objective.
· Coordinate responsibility & budget with Store Planning on all new stores, renovations and rollouts. Develop, update, maintain and communicate approved capital expense vendor shops to Interior Planning.
· Analyze visual and market opportunities.
· Attends key merchant markets to negotiate shops, designs, terms, budgets, coop and other finances.
· Works with Cad Technician and Merchandise Creative Director to manage all floorplans for space allocation and merchandise flows.
· Assist with setting up Senior Management Meetings, key initiatives, special projects
· Shop the competition and analyze visual and market opportunities that will set us apart from our competitors. Make recommendations based on analysis.
· Attend industry markets (Visual and Merchandise specific when needed) to understand and find new products and develop vendor partnership to acquire visual coop from vendor community as needed.
· Assist in the execution and set up of new and remodeled stores.
· Assist in the Capital budget process
· Assist in long range Annual Visual Budget process
Minimum Education & Experience:
· Preferred 4 year degree in design, architecture or related field or minimum 8 years experience in corporate visual merchandising, store planning, store design, environment design or space planning at management level.
· Visual experience at Store Level
· Must have budget experience
· Proven track record with Vendors
· Knowledge of Fixturing, Printing, Production and Mac Systems
· Computer skills – MAC Base, PowerPoint, Word, Excel & Corporate Financial systems
· Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint
· Knowledge of CAD, Photoshop, InDesign, 3-d rendering, Revit, Sketchup
· Ability to work in multiple file formats, PC & MAC
· Excellent taste level and art direction
· Negotiation skills
· Ability to understand Floor Plans and Scaled Drawings
· Ability to perform under pressure
Computer Skills – PC Excel, Word, Power Point, CAD, Outlook, Sketch-up, Revit, MAC Operating Systems: Photo Shop, Illustrator, InDesign
Reports Directly to:
· Supervisor: Vice President - Merchandise Presentation
· Manages Visual Merchandise Design Coordinator and Cad Technician