The Director of Benefits directs all aspects and activities related to the design, financial planning and administration of the Company’s health, welfare, wellness, leave and other non-retirement benefit programs. This role also directs the operations of the Belk Benefits Call Center. This includes establishing and revising policies, procedures, internal controls, functional/technical system reviews and improvements. Ensures plans are in compliance with all ERISA and other regulatory requirements.
Responsibilities & Essential Functions
- Direct development/execution of all non-retirement benefit programs, strategies, plan design, audits, policies, benchmarking, and financial objectives
- Lead initiatives focused on improving benefit trends, streamlining the process, plan costs and improving the experience for associates
- Performs audits on benefits program to ensure effectiveness, payroll costs and company costs are aligned.
- Maintain relationships and partner with third-party providers, actuarial experts, brokers, and benefits consultants to ensure appropriate underwriting and pricing of our Health & Welfare programs.
- Serve as internal expert to management and associates related to health, welfare, and leave program policies and procedures
- Provide for effective and timely communications to plan participants (i.e. associates handbooks, SPDs, SMMs, etc)
- Provide for the proper maintenance of benefits records and plan documents necessary for plan administration
- Ensure compliance of plans and programs with governmental regulatory agencies.
- Develop/manage annual benefit plans budgets, monthly variance analysis, business impact analysis
- Serve as liaison between benefits governance committees, the consulting firms, insurance companies, and other agencies supporting the ongoing administration of the plans.
- Ensure that all non-retirement benefit related contracts are current, complete and accurate.
- Direct the data process required by internal and external sources (i.e., claims data, open enrollment, leave of absence, etc.).
- Drive compliance and operational excellence with regard to internal & external audit requirements, corporate policies, and procedures including SOX governance
- Lead continuous improvement and integration of benefit processes; Troubleshoot escalated benefit plan issues
- Evaluate and maintain systems related to plan administration; Propose requests for system improvements and maintenance
- Coach, mentor and provide leadership development and training to the benefits team and members of the Total Rewards team
- Build and maintain positive relationships with your team, total rewards team, corporate/division/store/DC HR, and corporate/field associates.
- Special HR/Audit/Tax projects and other duties as assigned.
- All employees are expected to be in compliance with government and corporate laws, rules, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Bachelors degree and/or equivent years of experience
Specific Degree: Healthcare Management, Business, HR Management
- Specific Training: HIPAA
- 10 or more years of applicable experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to understand technical/functional aspects of HRIS systems
- Ability to articulate business requirements and understand project documents
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications
- Strong Inter-Personal/Customer Service Skills
- Strong Verbal & Written Communication Skills
- Change Management
- Strategy Development
Back to Job List