Associate Buyers are responsible for a select part of the Buyer’s overall business and must drive the merchandise strategy and assortments for this part of the business with the goal of meeting or exceeding sales, margin and turn targets.
The major responsibilities include:
- Associate Buyers, with support from the Buyer, is responsible for the purchase and negotiation of merchandise for their business areas as well as the open to buy process.
- Associate Buyers partner with Planners to develop strategies to maximize business opportunities.
- Associate Buyers partner with the Assistant Planner to appropriately manage orders and analyze business trends.
- Develop and execute merchandise strategies and assortment plans, based on customer feedback and preferences, to deliver financial goals and business objectives
- Collaborate with Planner on development of merchandise financial plans and by-door plans by providing regular and timely input;
- Build and maintain strong partnerships with vendors
- Select merchandise; negotiate best costs and delivery of product
- Identify business opportunities and risks in-season through analyzing sales performance and gathering marketplace information; implement strategies to ensure plans are achieved
- Analyze the business to identify trends and capitalize on opportunities
- Execute advertising strategies
- Build a high quality merchant team by developing partnerships, leading, coaching and providing constructive feedback
- Travels to all necessary markets and store trips
- Possesses strong merchandising, product and marketing skills
- Demonstrates strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Is highly organized and able to multitask
- Builds and maintains productive relationships with peers and members of the merchant team
- Demonstrates leadership and decision-making skills
- Demonstrates strong listening, written and oral communication skills
- Analyzes business to the lowest level to identify opportunities in sales, inventory, and margin by store, department, and class
- Reacts to business trends in a timely and efficient manner
- Adapts to shifting circumstances in a business environment
Education & Experience:
- Bachelors degree strongly preferred
- 2-3 years of retail experience; 1-2 in retail buying
- Proficient in business-related computer software (Microsoft Windows, Word, Excel, etc.)
- Maintains professionalism in work relationships and habits
- Provides direction, counseling and coaching to staff
- Develops creative solutions to business issues
- Works effectively with staff and Divisional/BSS management to achieve sound financial and merchandising solutions based on analysis, input and experience
- Identifies emerging trends and shops competition and market regularly
- Communicates effectively with stores and vendors
- Available and able to travel
- Able to see and distinguish colors
- Able to lift up to 25 pounds
For reasonable accommodation information for an ADAAA qualified disability please see Belk Associate Handbook for policy and procedures.
Back to Job List