The Assistant Apparel Designer is responsible for assisting in the designing, developing and executing of product designs that achieve Belk’s Private Brand objectives, and overall product strategy. The Assistant Apparel Designer helps to ensure that all aspects of the garment design remain consistent to each brand’s profile, and to adhere to the timely seasonal assortments that are relevant to the brand[s] position and target customer. Participate in research and development of seasonal trends and ensure that designs meet merchant line plans, assortment strategies, price points, and overall creative direction. This position requires strong time management skills at a process and communication level. Assists with trim, and color approvals.
- Partners with Apparel Designer to ensure that department goals and priorities are aligned.
- Helps provide the creative vision for a specific product category or brand[s] - has the ability to inspire ideas/ new concepts outside the current assortment[s].
- Evaluate and prioritize all trend information and create trend boards, color direction, and compelling product assortments.
- Assists the research of domestic and international markets for silhouette/ color/ fabric trends each season.
- Helps Identify opportunities for process improvement.
- May manage systems, libraries, and projects to achieve Balk goals in accordance with company policy and practices.
- Strong fashion sense and ability to translate merchant/ market input into highly salable product.
- Helps to create and present design concepts to Design Management, Product Management, Merchant Teams, Trend Department, Technical Design and Vendor partners.
- Create development sketches for new private brand styles. Creates line planners for development and meeting needs
- Partner with Textile Designer to ensure compelling print assortments and color palettes.
- Apply understanding of design process and Private Brands/Merchant’s business objectives to ensure consistency and drive financial results.
- Collaborate with Design Management, Product Management, Overseas Offices, Merchandising, Trend Department, Textile Design, Technical Design/QA, and Vendors to achieve product execution and maintain design integrity.
- Produce cohesive product presentations to sell concept to entire team, including boards, tear sheets and samples.
- Evaluate all meeting and production samples with extended Private Brand team.
- Develop relationships and interacts with the Merchandising teams, Trend Director, Overseas Offices and key vendors to exchange ideas, leverage expertise, and streamline the development process.
All employees are expected to be in compliance with government and corporate laws, rules, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Special projects and other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree and/or equivalent years of experience
- Specific Degree: Fashion Design, Fine Art or related field.
- Specific Training: Must be proficient in design programs: Kaledo Designer, Illustrator, Photoshop, etc.
- 2 or more years of applicable experience
- Industry experience: Large retailer or manufacturer.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Strong commercial sense and market knowledge of garment construction.
- Must be able to distinguish color.
- Demonstrates strong people skills and the ability to be an effective communicator and team player.
- Able to work effectively in a culturally diverse environment.
- Ability to research and to apply market trend information.
- Willing to travel to stores and vendors/factories worldwide.
- Working knowledge of design and product development processes.
Ability to prioritize and manage workload with multiple deadlines.
For reasonable accommodation information for an ADAAA qualified disability please see Belk Associate Handbook for policy and procedures
Back to Job List