Associate will report to the Manager – Imports & General Accounting and will assist with the production of timely, quality, and accurate financial statements related to Belk International, gift cards, and other assigned expense and/or balance sheet accounts.
· Performs monthly review of Belk International imported orders; analyzes order cost sheets to determine order profitability and variance explanations.
· Support management with the monthly close of all import transactions within established deadlines.
· Applies the applicable accounting treatment for all in-transit orders and performs the monthly expense and in-transit inventory accrual.
· Assist the Manager – Imports & General Accounting (in conjunction with Private Brands & IT) with the onboarding of additional vendors to the Direct Bill Program.
· Assists with monthly accounting for US Custom drafts.
· Reviews daily Direct Bill files and work discrepancies as necessary.
· Responsible for the accounting process related to Customer Delivery (includes supporting the Manager – Imports & General Accounting with the monthly variance review and communication to senior management).
· Responsible for Gift Card accounting tasks. Includes reviewing discrepancies between the general ledger and our gift card subsidiary ledger (SmartClixx) and communicating variances (Budget vs. Actual, TY Actual vs. LY Actual) to the Credit management team.
· Complete annual leased property tax schedules as assigned.
· Complete assignments related to internal and external audit requests.
· Builds partnerships with import merchants and business managers to ensure strong communication and a solid understanding of the business.
· Perform monthly assigned general ledger reconciliations on assigned timeline.
· Research and implement significant process improvements that will improve productivity.
· Maintain current and detailed documentation for all assigned accounts. Work with departmental personnel to ensure all updated Policy & Procedure documentation is accessible on the Belk Intranet.
· Maintain current and detailed documentation for all assigned accounts.
· Complete contract review and document required accounting guidance, as assigned.
· Serve on IT project initiatives as assigned
· Participate as assigned with internal training and recruiting efforts
· Special projects and other assigned duties
· Knowledge and understanding of accounting systems and processes
· Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
· Strong research, analytical, technical, and documentation skills
· Demonstrated problem solving skills and strong customer service orientation
· Ability to work with minimal supervision
· Ability to balance multiple priorities and meet deadlines
· Ability to communicate effectively with various levels of the organization
· Well organized and effectively manage time, prioritize tasks, and meet strict deadlines
· Ability to handle new tasks without the benefit of written procedures
· Detail and process oriented
· Self-starter, self-motivated
· Respond with sense of urgency
· Ability to work well within a team environment, as well as independently as the situation demands
· Controllers Department Management
· Private Brand Management and Personnel
· Financial Planning and Budgeting Personnel
· Foreign Agent Accounting Personnel
Education & Experience
Four year degree – Accounting
At least two years related work experience
Strong Microsoft Excel, Access, Word, and PowerPoint skills
Lawson General Ledger (preferred)
Hyperion, including Smartview (preferred)
Strong PC and analytical skills
Team leadership – related to assignments and project management
Strong oral and written communication skills
Ability to think critically and make recommendations
Willingness to work in a dynamic and changing environment
Ability to operate PC
Ability to manipulate various keyboards
Ability to operate and communicate using telephone
Ability to maintain files
Ability to open/manipulate/distribute mail and paperwork
Ability to perform some lifting as required
Ability to perform mathematical calculations and/or balance computations
Ability to analyze/evaluate invoice, statistical or accounting data
Ability to observe employee performance and communicate directions to them
Ability to understand policies/procedures and communicate them
Ability to formulate/administer budgets and analyze related reports
Ability to effectively communicate
Reports Directly to:
Accounting Manager – Imports & General Accounting
For reasonable accommodation information for an ADAAA qualified disability please see Belk Associate Handbook for policy and procedures.