The Supervisor, Outbound Transportation reports to the Manager, Transportation and is responsible for supplier management and functional support for all DC to store freight, including operational oversight and fiscal responsibility for these activities. He / She will take a collaborative approach and will be accountable for creating plans to develop and integrate the capabilities of the transportation organization in line with the current Logistics mission. The Supervisor, Outbound Transportation ensures that internal and external customers receive the highest level of service, makes decisions that maximize the operation’s performance and cost metrics, and builds strong associate work teams with a positive work environment.
The Supervisor, Outbound Transportation will perform the following duties:
· Manage the direct and indirect suppliers responsible for retail product movement from DC to stores.
Ø Coordinate and manage supporting aspects of the company’s outbound transportation programs:
· Develop and manage sufficient relationships, programs and processes to support the execution of the DCs’ overall store delivery operations and strategy, including planning and forecasting to support current requirements and future growth.
· Leverage technology to improve capability and service, and provide better integration with inbound and reverse logistics; champion the business case for integration with the transportation management system and manage project delivery with all stakeholders.
· Execute annual outbound transportation budgets.
· Collaborate with inbound team to ensure maximum utilization of backhaul.
· Ensure company and vendor compliance with all domestic transportation laws and regulations.
· Coordinate supplier program to ensure service levels are consistently exceeded at the most effective costs; includes relationship management and performance management aligned with operational planning and execution.
· Support the periodic sourcing of suppliers and contract / rate negotiation to ensure operating expenses are within budgetary guidelines and appropriate capacity exists to meet demand; work closely with inbound manager to purchase / manage common carrier capacity to supplement dedicated transportation where appropriate
· Perform periodic review of delivery network and work with DCs to maximize proper utilization and reduce transportation costs through optimization / sub-optimization.
Ø Provide leadership that maximizes and optimizes resources in support of the company’s goals and objectives:
· Recruit, train, mentor and develop an engaged, diverse team that will ensure the highest level of service, productivity, safety and quality.
· Links company mission, vision, values, goals and strategies to team’s work.
· Delegates appropriate responsibilities and holds staff accountable for results.
· Explains the benefits of change and helps individuals overcome resistance to change.
· Takes initiative to develop new ideas to improve productivity and effectiveness.
· Enables cooperative and productive team interactions; works collaboratively to resolve conflicts and achieve shared goals.
· Provides individuals with development opportunities to expand their capabilities.
· Models behaviors and takes action to drive engagement.
· Actively encourages diverse perspectives in interactions with others.
· Provides ongoing feedback and coaching to team.
· Sets priorities to ensure the customer comes first.
· Empowers employees to improve service delivery.
· Communicates goals frequently and clearly.
· Ensures team maintains quality standards.
· Helps team prioritize work and deliver results.
· Responds to setbacks with workable solutions.
Ø Promote a desire and commitment for continuous improvement:
· Ensure standardization and sharing of best-demonstrated practices among the operation.
· Ensures compliance with key company standards of safety and management.
Ø Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Experience and Skills